Sunday, June 08, 2008

Hazy, hot and haying




It's hot, damn hot for June. And as soon as the word hot enters the forecast so does haying. You can't bale hay if it's raining and you can't bale hay if it's cold.

As I was loading bales onto the hay elevator at 4:30, the temperature on the ground in the sun at 90 plus degrees, and regularly looking up into the opening of the hayloft as the bales rode up the track where Jack was on the receiving end, with the hayloft temperature of 110 degrees, both of us sweaty and coated in hay chaff, I found myself wondering....would I have it any other way? And no, I wouldn't. Jack wouldn't either. Farming is healthy and connected to the earth. It's pure and simple.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on all your posts. That was a hot week! Glad you got it in before all the rains we've had.

    Daisy came back from the processor yesterday. Wonderful prep! Can't wait to start spinning! Need to finish up my current bobbins to make a 3 ply and then I can. :-)

    ReplyDelete